Re: Tyrannosaurs and Hyenas

--- Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Simpson wrote:
>
> >Well, I'm not tired of discussing. IN fact I've
> written a script called
> >T-Rex: Ravager or Scavenger
> >that PROOVES, yes prooves, that T-Rex was not
> exclusivly a scavenger.
>
> Proof!?  Wow, I'm impressed!

Proof of course being reletive. ;) And as my
script/analisis is also presented comedicly, hyperbowl
is always included in the discussion.

> >Even vultures will kill if they have to. Saw this
> with my own eyes once.
>
> I don't doubt you, but this depends on the species
> of vulture in question.
> For example, in the U.S. the turkey vulture
> (_Cathartes aura_)  rarely (if
> ever) attacks live prey, but the black vulture
> (_Coragyps atratus_)
> frequently attacks live prey - including livestock
> (usually sick or newborn
> individuals).

I didn't see the vultures catch the prey but saw two
vultures tearing apart and fighting over what was
clearly still living prey. This happened near Yamhill
Oregon. Not sure which kind of vultures they were.

> >None of his arguments stand up to scrutiny. I too
> >respect the man but I think this argument does a
> bit
> >of a disservice.
>
> I agree entirely.  There's an abundance of good
> biomechanical studies that
> support the hypothesis that _Tyrannosaurus_ was a
> predator.  The fact that
> there is a hadrosaur vertebra that's been chomped on
> by a tyrannosaur, and
> then healed, certainly helps the case.

And there is that triceratops with its horn bit off
and the frill bit and healed if I remember correctly.

andrew