Sauropod neck allometry

> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:46:35 -0800
> From: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>
>
> Another thought occurs to me: what does ontogeny tell us about
> sauropod neck lengths? Is there a size at which they become
> significantly longer or do they show consistent growth throughout
> life?

The fossil record of identifiable sauropod cervicals is too sparse for
us to be able to say much on this subject.  What is clear is that the
neck was positively allometric (in those taxa for which we have data),
i.e. became proportionally longer in larger individuals.  But whether
that allometry was smooth or had a puberty-like discontinuity is can't
be inferred from what we have right now.

)_v__/\  "NASA Delays Shuttle Launch Out Of Sheer Habit" -- headline
         from www.theonion.com