RE: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

The subject of elephants rearing up to feed constantly comes up in
discussions on tripodal stance in sauropods as if the two may be equated
(not proven by the way). First, elephants rear up to feed only when
conditions are such that they are forced to, meaning a drought. When any
creature gets hungry, especially under conditions of starvation, that
creature will do anything to get food. That does not mean that the
extremes used to do so are the norm. There is a big difference between
"could" a sauropod rear up on its hind legs and "did" a sauropod rear on
its hind legs. I would argue that unless conditions forced it to, that
the answer is "no."

Second, the distance between the elephants heart and its brain is
considerably less than for any tripodal sauropod. This alone suggests
that the analogy is flawed.

Third, when it comes down to it, all this speculation is untestable
anyway and is really a matter of opinion. Sauropods are dead and there
is little about their behavior that we will ever REALLY know.

Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences