RE: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

From: Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org

The subject of elephants rearing up to feed constantly comes up in
discussions on tripodal stance in sauropods as if the two may be equated
(not proven by the way). First, elephants rear up to feed only when
conditions are such that they are forced to, meaning a drought. When any
creature gets hungry, especially under conditions of starvation, that
creature will do anything to get food. That does not mean that the
extremes used to do so are the norm. There is a big difference between
"could" a sauropod rear up on its hind legs and "did" a sauropod rear on
its hind legs. I would argue that unless conditions forced it to, that
the answer is "no."

Diplodocids (as the name suggests) have "double beamed" chevrons, isn't this evidence that these animals were adapted to rear up for extended periods of time, in the same way the large pubic "boot" of tyrannosaurs is evidence that they rested in a prone position?

Third, when it comes down to it, all this speculation is untestable
anyway and is really a matter of opinion. Sauropods are dead and there
is little about their behavior that we will ever REALLY know.

We all know this is just speculation =) Its just a fun intellectual exorcise to imagine how these animals may or may not have functioned. I also draw life resorations of dinosaurs as a hobby and when drawing these animals, I have to do a whole lot of speculation and make a decision on what I feel is the most realistic way to illustrate these animals.

Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences