RE: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

Ah, no, the chevrons are not proof of tripodal stance. You just assume
that is true because others have said that is what they are for. In
fact, the elongate chevrons occur in theropods, as well as other
sauropods. Do you assume theropods reared up on their tails to feed on
mammals hiding in tree tops? In theropods the elongate chevrons are
clearly for stiffening the tail, so why couldn't that have been true of
Diplodocus as well? After all, these sauropods probably carried their
tails in the air.

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences