Re: FW: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

dannj@alphalink.com.au wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:10:40 -0700, Ken.Carpenter wrote

There is one other set of conditions whereby elephants will rear on
their hind legs that I forgot to mention: that is when certain trees are fruiting. Some of these fruits are sweet and do ferment. At such times elephants do rear up to reach fruits once the lower fruits are eaten. These elephants also get incredibly drunk too. Ken

I thought the 'drunken elephants' myth had been 'busted' recently? I can only imagine the amount of alcohol required to get something with the body mass of an elephant drunk...

Doesn't it also depend on how much alcohol dehydrongenase you have ? (and I'd like to take this opportunity to quash the ridiculous and unwarranted suggestion that we of Celtic ancestry have any more than our fair share of this. Cheers....)

Colin

'It all comes, I suppose', he decided, as he said good-bye to the last branch, spun around three times, and flew gracefully into a gorse-bush, 'it all comes from _liking_ honey so much. Oh, help!' Winnie-the-Pooh.