RE: The Croc That Wanted to Be a Dinosaur

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Tim Williams
>

> >>Alternate title, from M. Keesey: "Crocs: The Original Dinosaurs"
>
> Turning it around, and looking at archosaur evolution from a less
> dinosaur-centric viewpoint, ornithomimosaurs were shuvosaur-mimics.  After
> all, the suchians got there first.  :-)

As I mentioned on Carl Zimmer's blog "The Loom", chatterjeeids are ostrich
mimic mimic mimics (using the normal [backwards]
paleontological version of "mimicry"). Ratites -> ornithomimosaurs ->
_Elaphrosaurus_ -> chatterjeeids. (Okay, we don't have
_Elaphrosaurus_'s skull, and chatterjeeids don't have particularly elongate
hindlimbs, so these two are foreshadows of
ornithomimosaurs and ratites in different ways).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117
                College Park, MD  20742