Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Defend Their Young?

I've spent many an hour pondering this very question.
First and foremost the adult Hadrosaurs would want to
build their nest sights in areas protected by
environment. Be that water, mud, rock or remoteness,
this would be a great first defense.

I think that mother hadrosaurs are not protecting
their eggs and young from massive carnosaurs but from
everything else. Small reptiles and mammals,
pterosaurs, and small too mid-range dinosaurs would be
the greatest threats to eggs and young and thus having
protective parents would have been a huge advantage.
When the big boys showed up the Adult Hadrosaurs would
have had to simply abandon the nest. A large mega
predator would not likely been overly interested in
eggs and babies. But might have eaten some anyway,
especially if hunting was bad. Even so, in large
nesting sight many of the young would have survived a
single attack from a large meat eater.

However, if a big predator did run off the adults the
smaller egg thieves and other opportunists might be
right there waiting to run in and eat their fill.

Which might have made in necessary for Adult
Hadrosaurs to carry off as many eggs and or young as
they could carry.

Andrew Simpson