Re: The Croc That Wanted to Be a Dinosaur

As I mentioned on Carl Zimmer's blog "The Loom", chatterjeeids are ostrich mimic mimic mimics (using the normal [backwards]
paleontological version of "mimicry"). Ratites -> ornithomimosaurs -> _Elaphrosaurus_ -> chatterjeeids.

Please, please, please name the next chatterjeeid *Struthiomimomimomimosuchus*!!!

(Okay, we don't have _Elaphrosaurus_'s skull, and chatterjeeids don't have particularly elongate hindlimbs,
so these two are foreshadows of ornithomimosaurs and ratites in different ways).

Apart from the skull and the general shape, *Effigia* doesn't look all that much like an ornithomimosaur...