Re: the opposite of paedomorphosis?

Quoting Denver Fowler <df9465@yahoo.co.uk>:

Just out of interest, is there any reason why american
english retains the -ae- in paedomorphosis, but not in
paleontology [palaeontology in ol' proper english] (or
any other paedo- prefix words).

Don't know why the <ae> is often retained in that word (though a web search for "pedomorphosis" also turns up hits). You never see "paediatrician" here, though it's based on the same Greek root.

Kind of a funny thing; if you're like me, "archaeology" looks a lot less weird than "palaeontology" (I'd even say that "archaeology" is my preferred spelling, and "archeology" looks a little odd).

Of course, sometimes it's kind of a relief to be able to drop some of those "silent" vowels: do Brits work on ancient environments really find themselves studying "palaeooecology"?

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan