Re: Sauropod Biology

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:20:18 +0100 David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> writes:
[snip]
> >  "This would be extremely young! Are you sure they don't belong to
> some
> > kind
> >  of titanosaur?"
> >
> >  This was the source; I don't know how reliable it is since it is
> from
> > wikipedia. Hopefully someone can confirm this info for us.
> >
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachiosauridae
>
> Ah. No source is given in there. Probably someone just retyped a
> misinterpretation... Wikipedia is sometimes very reliable and
> sometimes not
> worth the webspace it's stored on... :-)

It's from an abstract to an SVP poster:

Kirkland, Agullion-Martinez, Hernandez-Rivera, and Tidwell, 2000. A late
Campanian brachiosaurid proximal caudal vertebra from Coahuila, Mexico:
evidence against a Cretaceous North American sauropod hiatus. Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology 20 (supplement to Number 3), Abstracts of Papers,
Sixtieth Annual Meeting, pp. 51A-52A.

The vertebra is from the Cerro del Pueblo Fm., with a short centrum wider
than tall (82 mm long x 160 mm high x 179 mm wide), no pleurocoels in
centrum, anteriorly-placed neural arch, no chevron facets, caudal ribs
angled back, overall most comparable to basal titanosauriforms around or
in Brachiosauridae.-Justin