Re: sauropod rearing

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
[...]
I was asked by a list member to summarize the argument for rearing sauropods.
How can I refuse? This is based in part on my 1998 Modern Geology 23: 179
paper which I'm sure you are all familiar with, as well as some SVP abstracts.
[...]
All sauropods are better adapted for rearing than elephants. I mean all of
them, each and every one. Heres why -
[...]

The pelvic region has always looked too rigid to permit much in the way of
rearing, particularly if there are large neural spines. A quick hop up, but a sustained rearing...?