Re: [pws@psparks.us: PT article]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:03:35 -0600 Tim Williams
<twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> writes:
<snippage>

> I didn't make the superman comments - my comments were more along
> the lines
> of the Red Baron.  Be that as it may, DP is making some fairly
> brazen claims
> here.  He has found the legs of _Longisquama_, for example, in a
> specimen in
> which only the front half of the body is preserved (to everybody
> else's
> eyes, anyway).  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
>  The
> PhotoShop method for discerning unseen structures has not risen to
> the
> occasion, thus far.

This is what travel grants are for.  And yet another good reason why the
NSF should not be defunded.    Nothing is better than seeing a fossil
specimen in person.

Multispectral analysis can be very useful in the study of fossils
imbedded in a matrix slab.  However, I would agree with Tim Williams and
others that PhotoShop analysis of someone else's published photo is not
the way to study the fossil.

There are various color filters that can be attached to the font of an
analog or a digital camera lens that can reveal "hidden" detail not
captured by full-spectrum light.  I would suggest that if Mr. Peters
wants to pursue this avenue of research (and I think it is a great idea,
BTW), then he should invest in a 1) Infrared filter; 2) a red filter; 3)
a yellow filter; 4) a green filter; and 4) a blue filter.

Filters are cheap, yet they have the potential to provide huge payoffs in
new scientific information.  Mr. Peters could make some major
contributions to the science with only a minor investiment in equipment
(plus his travel expenses, of course).

Take photograhs of the specimen using each filter alone, then analyze the
images. If the photo is digital, the technique of  "stacking" the photos
in various filter combinations (e.g., R-G, IR-B, G-B, etc.) can also
reveal much hidden detail.

Another avenue of photography is discrete color illumination.  A bank of
LED lights, in R, G, IR, Y, and B can be used, one color at a time.  This
technique would be in lieu of using color filters.

So there are plenty of options available to Dave.

Happy traveling,

<pb>
--
Gung Hay Fat Choy