Re: sauropod rearing

When elephants rear they flex the knees strongly. The pelvic muscles probably
cannot properly function when the hios are tilted up and I don't think
elephants can walk on two legs, but I'm not entirely sure because I cannot entirely
recall what circus elephants are capable of.

I have recollections of seeing circus elephants having some limited bipedal locomotion - rearing up and turning around on the spot, and bizarrely I think I have seen them perform conga line - this is a vague memory (could be erroneous or elaborated), never thought I'd need to recall it in detail. I wouldn't say they were the most nimble things on two legs...

Anyway, I guess this suggests it would be worth finding out what trained elephants can do (caveat being they are trained to do it, and most this ability is probably size or age dependant).

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Glen
PhD candidate,
School of Biomedical Science
Anatomy and Developmental Biology Dept.,
University of Queensland
Q 4072, AUSTRALIA
Room: 418
Phone: (07) 3365 2720
Mob: 0408 986 301
Email: c.glen@.uq.edu.au
\
\
*
<`\
\_ \ / ,\
"" ""
~QQ>
~QQ>
Returning home after a hard day of
dodging dinosaur feet and droppings,
only to find their burrow trampled,
one Late Mesozoic mammal says to an other :
"Hey, a falling star, make a wish."