Re: sauropod rearing

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Chris Glen wrote:
When elephants rear they flex the knees strongly. The pelvic muscles probably
cannot properly function when the hios are tilted up and I don't think
elephants can walk on two legs, but I'm not entirely sure because I cannot entirely
recall what circus elephants are capable of.

I have recollections of seeing circus elephants having some limited bipedal locomotion - rearing up and turning around on the spot, and bizarrely I think I have seen them perform conga line - this is a vague memory (could be erroneous or elaborated), never thought I'd need to recall it in detail. I wouldn't say they were the most nimble things on two legs...

Anyway, I guess this suggests it would be worth finding out what trained elephants can do (caveat being they are trained to do it, and most this ability is probably size or age dependant).

The conga line bit is/was a cliche I thought.

 http://www.curtiseller.com/images/elephantlinks.jpg

As far as other circus tricks

http://planete.qc.ca/floride/flashfloride/images/circus-elephants.jpg

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/EARTH/9511/sri_lanka_elephants/elephants_circus.jpg