Re: sauropod rearing

That could be true, since the method I decribed would not have worked for stegosaurus. Some other method like the one you decribed my very well have been possible.

From: dannj@alphalink.com.au
To: DML <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: sauropod rearing (and sex)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:13:30 +1000

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:57:59 -0500, Sim Koning wrote
> I agree with Greg Paul that all sauropods must have been able to
> rear up. You see, I used to have pet iguanas, a male and two
> females. I saw my iguanas mate several times and I noticed that in
> order to do it, the male had to put one of his legs over the hips of
> the female while he shifted his tail under hers. The reason lizards
> do this is because they have to line up their cloacas. When I looked
> at most restorations of dinosaurs mating, I realized the majority
> are completely wrong. The one I can think of that was done right,
>  was Luis V. Rey's "Carnotaurus Sex". To get to the point, Sauropods
> males would not only have to rear up, they would also have to stand
> on one leg! Most of the weight would be rested on the female's back
> of course, but it would still be one heck of a balancing act. The
> male would have to rear up and come down gently onto the female's
> back. After this has been achieved, the male would somehow have to
> raise his leg over the base of the females tail before shifting his
> own tail underneath to line up their Cloacas.

Unless they had a highly mobile (almost prehensile) penis like those of
whales, in which case sauropods may have been able to remain on all fours and
simple 'back up' while holding the tails out of the way.

Unfortunately such soft tissue structures are unlikely to be discovered any
time soon...

Dann Pigdon