Re: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

I don't know, I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the brain uses more oxygen than any other organ. You also have to consider the risks involved in fainting. If a sauropod got a little too greedy and stayed upright too long, it could faint and come crashing down in a fatal fall.

I think sauropods had a system for pumping blood to the brain that was more advanced than what we see in giraffes. As I posted earlier, my guess is that it was a combination of peristalsis and a set of shut off valves to prevent back flow, as well as to protect the brain from sudden pressure changes. If this was the case, high blood pressure would not be needed, nor would these animals have to limit the time they spent upright. Whatever the system was, it probably wasn't that efficient. This would explain the need for such a small brain as well as the need to keep the neck horizontal when at rest.

Would some sauropods need to maintain blood flow in order to raise their
heads long enough to take a mouthful? Surely if a diplodocid (or other
species that maintained horizontal necks most of the time) was able to
seal off the blood supply out of the neck for a few seconds to prevent
blood from draining away from the brain, then a few moments of no blood
flow to that tiny brain wouldn't be so critical?

It would mean they couldn't raise their heads for any length of time
(barring other unknown blood flow mechanisms), but it wouldn't make
quick forays into higher elevations entirely impossible.

That's Bakker's hypothesis, but I don't know how long even a small brain could function without a constant oxygen supply. It would mean that these

Would higher oxygen levels compensate?