Re: Sauropod Energetics (Peristaltic pump)

That's the main reason why I think they were not primarily low browsing animals. I think the advantages of being able to feed in wide arcs, while standing still, would have been cancelled out by the tiny head. A low browsing animal would benefit more from a large head, short neck (Dicraeosaurus) and chewing teeth. They must of had some advantage over other herbivores In order to maintain such a high metabolism and grow to such gigantic sizes. The obvious answer to me has always been that they had access to food that no other herbivores could reach. It is interesting to note that the high browsing Brachiosaurs were the among the largest of all sauropods, while the low browsing Dicraeosaurs were among the smallest.

From: GSP1954@aol.com

Sauropods grew very rapidly, achievable only among animals with high mass
specific metabolic rates and energy budgets. Among other things you have to eat
fast to grow fast. There is no evidence sauropods lived very long. Continental
animals subject to predation, infectious disease and accident do not last much
past half a century. Slow growing, low metabolic rate tortoises live longer
because they are protected against predators by heavy armor, are in little
danger of injury during locomotion, and the biggest live on predator and disease
free islands.

G Paul