From: Danvarner@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: d_ohmes@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, July 3, 2006 4:54:29 PM
Subject: Re: T. rex's vision as SUPPORT for scavenging activitiy...

In a message dated 7/3/2006 4:14:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
d_ohmes@yahoo.com writes:

<< The ability to detect fortuitous  mortality in a timely fashion is
obviously critically important to efficient  utilization of such resources, and
any
sense used for detection is therefore  subject to strong directional selection.
IF there is the presence of a  population of volant scavengers, then timely
visual cues (eg, circling vultures)  to any local large animal death exist, and
are detectable from distances up to  40 miles in an open environment. >>

You are assuming Hell Creek environs were an "open  environment". It's mostly
flood plain and stream channel deposits,with a tree  canopy, is it not? Or is
that a deposital bias? DV