Re: T. rex's vision as SUPPORT for scavenging activitiy...

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:46:01 -0700 (PDT) don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
writes:
> Er, why "small and unimposing"? Big boys like a free lunch too.

Because the current tendency is to focus the discussion on medium sized
to large carnivores as filling the scavenger niche.  OTOH, currently,
there is no "heated debate" about whether Troodon frequently scavenged on
huge carcasses.  Maybe there should be such a discussion.

Years ago, I assisted on a couple digs where large herbivore skeletons
were being excavated.  I can't count the number of Eddy or Trike bones I
have seen that had very narrow subparallel slash marks on them that were
clearly made by very small, narrow, razor-sharp teeth.

I suspect that the contribution of the tiniest theropods in cleaning up
huge carcasses in the Mesozoic is vastly underestimated.

<pb>