Re: T. rex's vision as SUPPORT for scavenging activitiy...

Phillip Bigelow (bigelowp@juno.com) wrote:

<[T]he current tendency is to focus the discussion on medium sized to large
carnivores as filling the scavenger niche.  OTOH, currently, there is no
"heated debate" about whether Troodon frequently scavenged on huge carcasses.
Maybe there should be such a discussion.>

  There HAS been debate on this topic, even on this list, about the
contribution of tiny theropods usually beng first at a fallen corpse, before
the big predators "found" it. The smaller theropods, with longer, skinnier
snouts compared to body size, would be crevise-probers, as in jackals and the
sort, and thus play a neccessary ecological role in a kill/death site. This
has, as far as I can tell, been accepted by the paleocommunity at large. In
fact, at most sites, small teeth are more abundant in a concentration than
large teeth. I am not sure, but off the top of my head, there usually IS a
concentration of one predator's teeth in a single assemblage, invoking the
primary feeder, and if that predator is LARGE, there is usually a dearth of
smaller predators' teeth, so that might argue for a primary kill site, not just
a "oh, look, a hadro keeled over, my three-week fasting is over!" site.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/