Addendum to Trex vision as support for scavenging...

If my figures are correct--

Taking a Trex stride as 1.76m, assuming a stride frequency of 2 seconds (I
believe 2 sec is conservative), and using Stevens' far point of 6 km, Trex
could walk to his limiting far point in ~1.9 hrs. This means that, assuming
visual cues in the form of volant scavengers were available, Trex could
monitor, from a stationary position, ~113 sq km (11340 hectares) with a two
hour arrival time. Traversing a regular circuit, or moving with a herd of prey
animals, could obviously enlarge this area several fold.

This appears to mean that the hypothesis that Trex obtained a significant
portion of its diet from fortuitous death is more likely (ie, not as
ridiculous) as I once thought it to be--  ASSUMING THAT VISUAL CUES (EG, VOLANT
SCAVANGERS) WERE "AVAILABLE".

Don