Re: Addendum to Trex vision as support for scavenging...

Evidently I failed in the attempt to state my point clearly. Or perhaps you
didn't read my original post. So I will recap and hopefully clarify--

IF there are visual cues such as are offered by carrion birds (ie, little dots
off in the distance that tell of a RECENT death), THEN exceptionally keen
eyesight is advantageous for a terrestrial top predator in that hyperkeen
eyesight enables efficient utilization of fortuitous food resources not
obtainable by other means. If the evolution of habitat is appropriate, then the
percentage of total food resources that are obtained by scavenging may become
increasingly significant, and alter the evolutionary path of the predator.

If visual cues DO exist, then the nature of the terrain is not a factor in
carcass detection (ASSUMING A CLEAR FIELD OF VISION), and is only important in
that it alters the area that can be utilized (ie, alters arrival time). And
yes, in a first approximation, "ideal" terrain is a desirable simplifying
assumption.

Timeliness of carcass acquisition is critical to the viability of the
mega-scavenger concept, IMO. This why olfaction is a relatively inefficient
method of carcass detection, and in fact is why I never liked the concept of
Trex as obligate scavenger. By the time a carcass starts to stink, it is TOO
LATE to utilize it efficiently; the good parts have been eaten by others and
decomposition is advancing rapidly. Also, the "nasal" scavenger is hampered by
the geometry of air circulation (NEVER 360 degrees, unlike a visual cue), and
the vagaries of the weather, including the 24 hour heating/cooling cycle.
TRAILING prey can be very efficient, but pinpointing the (random) location of a
stationary odor source from any great distance (FORGET 6 km) is very iffy,
difficult, and time-consuming.

Also, I guess I need to stress that I do NOT think that Trex was an OBLIGATE
scavenger. My personal take on Trex lifestyle has always been that Trex was, in
effect, a bipedal terrestrial crocodile (ie, ambush predator/opportunistic
scavenger). The addition of hyperkeen vision and the perhaps not unreasonable
assumption of "tattle-tale" volant scavengers to the scenario just alter the
attainable ratio (ie, predation/scavenging can become a smaller number).

Where I part company with (judging from the press comments I read online;
haven't had the opportunity to read the paper) Stevens (and Holtz?) is this; it
has proved impossible for me to imagine (I am open to suggestions) a realistic
"pure" (terrestrial) predation strategy that would select for a far point limit
of 6 km. Not so for scavenging, IF the visual cues provided by volant
scavengers exist. However, no visual tattle-tails, no efficient scavenging
based on, and selecting for, hyperkeen vision.

I feel that the existence of volant scavengers in the period of time occupied
by Trex is not an unreasonable assumption. Therefore, I conclude that hyperkeen
vision actually SUPPORTS the idea that Trex obtained a significant portion of
its food by scavenging.

Don