Re: T. rex's vision as SUPPORT for scavenging activitiy...

Considering the remarkably limited flexibility of the quetz neck vertebrae and the shape of the tip of the lower mandible, the stork analog seems unlikely to me. Prior to assuming a stork analog, I suggest taking an actual quetz neck and placing the vertebrae in maximum dorsal, ventral, and lateral deflections. After doing so, I drew different conclusions (which doesn't mean that quetz wouldn't have picked up a tasty tidbit off the ground if it stumbled across one).
Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
To: <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: T. rex's vision as SUPPORT for scavenging activitiy...

Dr Naish concludes that, based on the anatomical evidence, "azhdarchids were stork-like generalists, picking up assorted invertebrate and vertebrate prey from shallow water and/or terrestrial environments." I like his line of reasoning, although I doubt it's the last word on the topic. I hope his blog on azhdarchid ecomorphology, by reference to modern analogs, gets morphed into a paper.

Cheers

Tim