Re: T rex walking speed WAS: Re: Addendum to Trex vision as support for scavenging...

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:48:22 -0700 (PDT) don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>
writes:

> So, back to the question that started the thread. What actors are
> available to play the theoretical role of vulture analog, helping to
> evolve wonderfully keen Trex vision? So far, no suggestions (other
> than Quetz) have been made. I would think something as big or
> somewhat bigger than a turkey buzzard,
> lots of razor-sharp teeth,
> and no crest to hamper entry into large carcasses...

Regarding the issue of head crests and feeding behavior:

The presence of a head crest would also preclude the tyrannosauroid
_Guanlong_ from scavenging.  If a crest/no-crest is a criterion, then I
don't buy it.  _Guanlong_ probably enjoyed sticking its snout deep inside
carcasses.  _Guanlong_, _Dilophosaurus_, _Ornitholestes_, and other
crested meat eaters probably did just fine at scavenging.  They just had
to improvise a bit.  Step #1:  Turn head to the side. Step #2: Stick head
in cavity of torso.  Step #3: Start eating.  Step #4: When removing your
head from cavity, make sure your head is turned to the side.

<pb>

"For depriving us, in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury.
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences.
A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a
Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.- Excerpts from the
Declaration of Independence of the United States of America