Re: Trex as a good smeller

----- Original Message ----
From: frank bliss <frank@blissnet.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, July 4, 2006 12:37:52 PM
Subject: RE: Trex as a good smeller

Tim,
Scenting is a science (art?) most studied by search and rescue (police
working)dog trainers.  I would send an email to badenk9@vaxxine.com and ask
Mike if there are any studies on such a subject.  Badin K-9 trains dogs for
the border patrol and other international agencies.   If anybody would know
references, Mike would.  If anyone on the site needs a really well trained
working dog, I personally recommend these folks as I now have 2 of their
dogs and shortly will have 3. The website is http://www.badenk-9.com/

I suspect that the modern scenting "science" would apply appropriately to
dinosaur applications.  Certain rules apply to the physical process of the
lofting of scent and uniformitarianism applies.

For sure. One could carp that mammalian systems might handle the input
differently than dinos, but the physics is the same.

I once made some casual observations on turkey buzzards, and found that if _no_
visual could be obtained (eg, carcass _completely_ covered by brush), the birds
could not access a armadillo carcass. Much circling, possibly a landing, but no
meal. My provisional conclusion was that scent might bring them to a general
location, but visual confirmation was needed for final location. This would
need replication, of course. Still, if you have trouble locating an armadillo
carcass in Florida summer, you might be challenged. : D

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming