TRex's vision as support for SCAVENGING activity

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Don wrote:

"No, I am assuming an idealized environment for a
generalized hypothetical scenario; evolving long-range
eyesight in a (bipedal) terrestrial predator that uses
distant visual cues for efficient utilization of
fortuitous death(s). The 40 mile figure represents an
approximate maximum distance (due to curvature of the
Earth) that visual cues can be detected.

As to Hell Creek and T.rex specifically, I'm guessing
depositional bias is there, as it always is.

Don"

Don, I am sure that we are in agreement that TRex
developed sensory accuities second-to-none (HUGE
olfactory lobe, EXCELLENT stereoscopic vision), and
additionally was possessed of the most massive jaws and
teeth of any known terrestrial predator EVER.
Additionally, younger TRexes were certainly fleet afoot
based on their longer leg ratios.

Can we also agree that TRex was possessed of a
complement of tools (or weapons) that made it a
FIRST-RATE Predator AND a FIRST-RATE scavenger?

In fact, it so thoroughly dominated its ecosystem as to
prevent any other large Theropod from establishing a
foothold within its environment.

As I argued at length in a post of several years back
(and more recently in Prehistoric Times), since ALL
known large predators will scavenge when available, no
one on the "predatory side" is making the argument that
TRex never scavenged - my frustration with Dr. Horner
is his ceaseless repeating of the "Scavenger ONLY"
mantra for which there is FAR LESS support than for the
opposite "Predator Only" position (which would be just
as ridiculously unreasonable).

Certainly a full-grown TRex would have "muscled in" on
dead carcasses and chased away smaller predators;  just
as certainly it didn't have all of the "weaponry"
detailed above just to be able to crunch carcasses (as
the Hadrosaur and Triceratops skeletons discussed
recently show - one with a neat circular bite taken out
of its tail, the other with a broken horn and TRex
tooth marks on the frill - with both animals having
survived the encounter as evidenced by the wounds
healing.)

Younger TRexes, being faster (and smaller) probably
preyed on critters more than the full-grown adults who
could chase away smaller ones from their kill;  if
neither of them preyed, then WHOSE kills did they all
scavenge, given that the only other predator (other
than Crocs) known from the same strata were puny 6-foot
Dromaeosaurs?

Of course, if it is ever established that TRexes lived
in groups, that will be even more evidence of predatory
behavior, as younger, faster animals could cooperate
with larger ones (as the "When Dinosaurs Roamed North
America" program of a few years back hypothesized....)
to bring down prey.....