Re: T rex walking speed WAS: Re: Addendum to Trex vision as support for scavenging...

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:12:20 -0700 (PDT) "Jaime A. Headden"
<qilongia@yahoo.com> writes:

>   Well, a [head] crest may be prohibitive in the diameter of the object

> being used as
> a crevice probe.

True, but I doubt that this restriction would be a major problem for the
smallest meat eating theropods.  Even with bitchingly audacious head
ornamentation, teeny theros' heads were still quite small.  Even a
perforation of the hide, caused by gas bloating of the carcass, may have
been large enough to accommodate a tiny theropod's head.

There is also the possibility that a huge sagital crest on a scavenger
(be it on a theropod or on a pterosaur) could have helped to "prop" the
orifice open while the theropod was eating.

My gut feeling is that adult _T. rex's_ probably didn't "scavenge" in any
classic sense (ala hyenas or vultures).  Rather, they probably
"amputated" entire sections of carcasses.  Smaller theropods probably
filled what we would today view as the commonly accepted "scavenger
niche", where many skeletal parts are left behind to be fossilized and
later studied by scientists.

<pb>
--
"For depriving us, in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury.
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences.