Re: Trex as a good smeller

Quoting don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>:

I once made some casual observations on turkey buzzards, and found that if _no_ visual could be obtained (eg, carcass _completely_ covered by brush), the birds could not access a armadillo carcass. Much circling, possibly a landing, but no meal. My provisional conclusion was that scent might bring them to a general location, but visual confirmation was needed for final location.

This probably holds true for a lot of animals. Tiger sharks can follow and hone in on a scent across huge distances, but once they get in the general vacinity they tend to find the bloated snack visually. Hyaenas also tend to move about in a search pattern once their nose has lead them to an area with a potential meal, so scent doesn't seem to be precise enough for pin-point accuracy.

Over short distances with little intervening cover sight is probably the more reliable sense, however in circumstances where target objects aren't sitting in plain sight (such as in forests, gullies, murky water, or heavy undergrowth) scent might be the better option (since you can literally smell something around corners).

Dann Pigdon