Re: Article: T. rex Had "some of the best vision in animal history"

Orbit size estimate: In extant reptiles and birds, how "tight" is the
correlation between calculated orbit diameter (as done by the "party
balloon" test in the Stevens paper) and the animal's actual eyeball
diameter?  Is there any type of consistent ratio that fits this
relationship across taxa?  And are there any extant exceptions to this
rule (e.g., animals with a huge orbit with a small eyeball; or with a
small orbit with a huge eyeball)?

For birds, the correlation is very tight, but only if you have the sclerotic ring to work with as well. Orbit size alone does not have a particularly good fit; though it is better for birds than for mammals.

There was an SVP talk, and a poster, on reconstruction of avian eye size from osteological evidence. If I remember correctly, it was at the most recent meeting; I will try to track it down. Does anyone here know the paper/poster I refer to, and recall the author(s)?

--Mike H.