To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:34 AM
Subject: Quetzalcoatlus ecology (was T. rex vision)

Like Jim, I also find the stork analog unlikely. I think Darren (despite being quite an insightful guy) has overlooked how storks actually feed; their feeding behavior actually has a lot of similarities to that of herons. In fact, storks sometimes snap up small birds that are airborne. Storks are rapid strike predators. Opportunistic yes, but not dippers.

It is also worth noting that Dr. Naish pins some of his conclusions on assumptions about Quetzalcoatlus flight parameters (and flight mechanics in general) that are in error. For example, he seems to confuse the adaptations for gliding and convective soaring.