RE: Trex as a good smeller

Scott Hartman wrote:

Maybe the carcass wasn't fragrant enough.  In David Attenborough's
documentary, "The Life of Birds," an airborne turkey vulture locates a
carcass that is completely concealed under leaves.  Next time, let the
carcass rot until the aroma is especially strong before running the
experiment.

The turkey vulture is reported to have an excellent sense of smell. So do the related yellow-headed vultures. But as I understand it, having an exceptional sense of smell is quite rare among birds. I know kiwis and the tube-nosed birds do, but other birds (including most scavengers) do not. Most species of scavenging birds rely on visual cues to detect prey, AFAIK.

Cheers

Tim