Re: Trex as a good smeller

Richard and Jo Cowen wrote:

The California turkey vulture has a terrific sense of smell

What's the California turkey vulture? I only know of the turkey vulture (_Cathartes aura_) and the California condor (_Gymnogyps californianus_). As I mentioned, the turkey vulture has an excellent sens of smell, but I had thought other New World vultures do not. Condors rely on sight, not smell, to detect carcasses.

(so probably many other new World vultures do too).

Apparently not. Members of the genus _Cathartes_ have a good sense of smell, but AFAIK other cathartids/vulturids don't (apart from the king vulture, perhaps).