RE: Apology to Tim Williams

Richard Cowen wrote:

I wanted to apologise for a couple of posts in which I commented on Tim Williams' posts without
reading them carefully enough. AFAIK, everything Tim said about sense of smell in New World vultures is correct.

Hey, no problem. I'm glad to hear that you have more faith in my posts than I do. ;-)

As a further addition to this thread... apparently pipeline engineers make use of the excellent olfactory abilities of turkey vultures by injecting ethyl mercaptan into pipes and following the birds to the leak. Ethyl mercaptan has a very distinctive and very bad smell, similar to carrion.

The birds that are thought to have the best sense of smell are the kiwis, which have huge olfactory lobes. Not for scavenging, but for probing.

Cheers

Tim