Re: If it Smells it Sells (Rot....."That's Hot") (Think Stink)

Popcorn? Heh. Perfect example of the subjectivity of olfactory observations...

----- Original Message ----
From: Phillip Bigelow <bigelowp@juno.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Saturday, July 8, 2006 10:10:13 AM
Subject: If it Smells it Sells (Rot....."That's Hot") (Think Stink)

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:15:10 -0500 Tim Williams
<twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> writes:

> apparently pipeline
> engineers make
> use of the excellent olfactory abilities of turkey vultures by
> injecting
> ethyl mercaptan into pipes and following the birds to the leak.
> Ethyl
> mercaptan has a very distinctive and very bad smell, similar to
> carrion.

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/psych396/student2002/hcs7/

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020217/spectrum/nature.htm

Yet, IMO, this subject still seems vastly understudied to date.  I have a
lurking feeling that this area of research remains ripe for further
study.  There are lots of good future Masters thesis proposals and PhD
dissertation proposals still wafting in the air.

And why do dirty sock hampers smell like popcorn rather than feet?

<pb>
--
Nesciamus, non attingamus