Fieldwork or bust? (Was: Stenopelix valdensis)

Not at all wanting to get caught up in Denver and Mickey's argument,
but as I was reading a recent post in that thread, my eye was caught
by this fragment:

Denver Fowler writes:
 > You cannot gain a true appreciation of time, stratigraphy,
 > variation, or the fossil record as a whole, unless you actually go
 > out into it and dig.

Would most other DMLers perceive this as true?  What specific insight
into the fossil record can only be gained in the field and not from
studying in collections or the literature?  I am genuinely curious.

)_v__/\  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not
         entitled to their own facts" -- U.S. Senator Pat Moynihan.