Re: Fieldwork or bust? (Was: Stenopelix valdensis)

However, today's smaller museums often suffer the added burdeon of
storage problems.  In many cases they have to "cherry pick" fossils based
on size because of practical necessity.  "It's easier to store a mouse
than a whale."  That doesn't mean that the largest fossils are abandoned
to crumble to dust in the ground.  Smaller museums usually invite in
larger museums to excavate the big stuff.

[The big East Coast museums of the 19th Century did just the opposite,
instead favoring big spectacular fossil displays at the expense of the
smaller fossils, which were usually left in the ground to be destroyed by
Father Time.]

The "collecting bias in museum collections" hypothesis is probably real
(that's just my wild guess).  But it would be hard to quantify the
magnitude of this bias, because it would vary from museum to museum.

<pb>
--
Why do chicken coops only have two doors?
Because if they had four doors, they would be chicken sedans.