Purple Paleo Prose Down Under

Depending on what the article mean't by "well
muscled-in teeth" and their actual morphology,
"slicing crests" on molars aren't necessarily an
indication of carnivory, since this is the condition
found in many bovid molars like those of goats and
deer. It doesn't mean they couldn't have sliced flesh,
but they're nothing like what you find in Thylacoleo
and other presumed marsupial carnivores. The skull
shown in the photo also didn't have "wolf-like fangs",
just a greatly extended lower incisor(s) that could
have served to scrape on bark or other plant
materials. To seize prey orally you need teeth that
aren't just pointed but also more or less
perpendicular to the axes of the u. and l. jaw. The
news article also makes the assumption that
quadrupedalism equals predation; why wouldn't a
leaping macropodid with well developed foreclaws be
just as effective, if not more so, in chasing down
fast-moving prey moving the same way? The DDD sounds
pretty intriguing-- I've known some pretty nasty (and
carnivorous) Muscovy Ducks these might have been
convergent on....

Mark Hallett

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060712/sc_nm/science_australia_fossils_dc_1