Re: Tyrannosaur age-population distributions

It's hard to wrap my mind around why we don't have *any* (to my
knowledge) isolated
Tyrannosaurus/Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus/Albertosaurus bones from animals
of, say, 1.0 meter size, already in museum collections.  To be sure, most
deceased babies and toddlers probably passed through the digestive tracts
of predators, but some isolated elements should have been washed into
channel deposits by floods and were preserved.

Either the infant tyrannosaur bones are mislabled in the collections
("dromaeosaur sp. indet."), or the baby tyrannosaurs migrated from higher
elevation nesting grounds (which are less commonly preserved in the
fossil record)  to the lower flood plains (Hell Creek/Judith River
environments) at around age 2.

Well.  There you go.  I guess I just successfully wrapped my mind!

<pb>
--
Why do chicken coops only have two doors?
Because if they had four doors, they would be chicken sedans.

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:41:39 -0400 Jeff Hecht <jeff@jeffhecht.com>
writes:
> Greg Erickson and Phil Currie have a nice paper in this week's
> Science on population distributions among the big tyrannosaurs. Once
> they reached about two meters (at age 2), they tended to survive
> until they reached sexual maturity. Then life got tougher.
>
> I've got a report at

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9547-the-living-was-easy-for-young-
tyrannosaurs-.html