Re: Tyrannosaur age-population distributions

Quoting Phillip Bigelow <bigelowp@juno.com>:

It's hard to wrap my mind around why we don't have *any* (to my
knowledge) isolated
Tyrannosaurus/Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus/Albertosaurus bones from animals
of, say, 1.0 meter size, already in museum collections.  To be sure, most
deceased babies and toddlers probably passed through the digestive tracts
of predators, but some isolated elements should have been washed into
channel deposits by floods and were preserved.

Maybe tyrannts grew so fast that the window of opportunity for young juveniles to be fossilised was too small.

Then of course there's the possibility that their grieving parents/siblings weren't too grief-stricken to chow down on their dead young'uns as soon as they hit the dirt. Certainly birds such as gulls see 'food' instead of 'friend' once a fellow flock-mate keels over.

Dann Pigdon