RE: Purple Paleo Prose Down Under

Like almost any 'news story' relating to science, the purplitude of the
prose will be inversely proportional to the accuracy of the report, and - as
could have been predicted - the illustration may tend to add to any
confusion created by the text.

In this case, the skull in the photo is *Ekaltadeta ima* (Macropodoidea,
Hypsiprymnodontidae, Propleopinae) which is roughly a giant late Oligocene
to Miocene version of the smallest extant kangaroo species, *Hypsiprymnodon
moschatus*.  The latter has relatively primitive hind feet, does not hop
bipedally, and is largely insectivorous/carnivorous.  Hence the argument for
*Ekaltadeta* and other large extinct propleopines (also) being carnivorous,
taking proportionately larger prey, does not represent an extraordinary
extrapolation.  The procumbent lower incisors of many diprotodont marsupials
make excellent stabbing weapons, and the somewhat enlarged and
'plagiaulacoid' premolars would cut flesh very nicely, as similar ones do in
omnivorous phalangerids (species of cuscus and brushtail possum).  The
molars have somewhat longitudinal blades and are small and low-crowned
relative to other roos.

The kangaroo with long canines is on a different lineage altogether,
Balbaridae (and actually named *Balbaroo fangaroo*), and was probably a
more-or-less exclusive browser.  The 'fangs' have been suggested to be for
display, and compared with similar male ornament in musk deer.

As for the dinosaurs in the picture (i.e. the dromornithid birds), the idea
that they were carnivorous is not taken very seriously by many folks; Steve
Wroe, who came up with it (and blames Walter Boles for coining 'Demon Duck
of Doom'), says he's not at all committed to the idea.  Certainly no-one
else is.
Cheers,
John

Dr John D. Scanlon
Palaeontologist,
Riversleigh Fossil Centre, Outback at Isa
19 Marian Street / PO Box 1094
Mount Isa  QLD  4825
AUSTRALIA
Ph:   07 4749 1555