To: <tholtz@umd.edu>; "'DML'" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 8:51 AM
Subject: RE: Tyrannosaur age-population distributions

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 8:34 AM
To: bigelowp@juno.com; dinosaur@usc.edu

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]On Behalf > Of > Phillip Bigelow > > It's hard to wrap my mind around why we don't have *any* (to my > knowledge) isolated > Tyrannosaurus/Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus/Albertosaurus bones from animals > of, say, 1.0 meter size, already in museum collections.

Well, don't get too obsessed with tyrannosaurids.

(Did **I** just type that!?!? :-S)

It isn't like collections are dripping with juvenile Triceratops or
Edmontosaurus or Ornithomimus or (shifting provenance)
Diplodocus or Apatosaurus or Camarasaurus or pretty much ANY dinosaur.

To be fair (coming from someone obsessed with tyrannosaurid food), I have
run across at least one juvenile Triceratops horncore in about every major
museum collection I've looked at. London has one or two (picked up by the
Sternbergs), Hatcher picked up a few (now at the Smithsonian), etc. They
were just never published. On the other hand, I never have seen any tiny
femora, etc. . .maybe the horns were just the least appetizing bit of the
animal.

Then again, maybe this juvenile material comes in fits and spurts. There
has
been no problem finding juvenile Triceratops skulls in recent years (or
finding T. rex skeletons, for that matter!).

Andy