EQ (was RE: Tyrannosaur age-population distributions)

EQ DOES normalize for body size. It isn't the ratio of brain to body size: it's
a **residual from the curve** of brain vs. body
mass. Specifically, it is:
EQ = (E<sub>i)/(E<sub>e)
were E<sub>i is the measured brain size, and E<sub>e is the expected brain size.

Traditionally (e.g., much of Hopson's work), the EQ curve used for dinosaurs
compared them to the curve found in modern non-avian
reptiles:
E<sub>e = 0.005 P^0.6667
where P = body mass.

So the classic "Troodon is the brainest dinosaur" statement comes from Hopson's
calculation that "Stenonychosaurus" had an EQ of 5.8
(in other words, about 5.8 times larger than expected of a 45 kg 'reptile').

E<sub>e for mammals, by the way, falls on a curve 0.12 P^0.6667.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117
                College Park, MD  20742