Re: EQ (was RE: Tyrannosaur age-population distributions)

--- Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> While I'm asking questions; would there be an upper
> size limit for
> brain volume for terrestrial animals, above which
> there is little
> improvement in function?

There seems to be a lower limit, but it's pretty low.
Holldobler and Wilson (1990, The Ants) noted that
smaller ants with smaller brains perform fewer
behaviors than larger ants with larger brains.

It's also been proposed that human brains are much
larger than "needed" and that the "extra" capacity has
been applied to social functions like politics and
non-urgent cognitive functions like paleontology.
Whether or not these are useful is a matter of
opinion, but they do indicate that capacity will be
applied, probably in accordance with something like
Parkinson's Law.

Glen Ledingham