Re: EQ (was RE: Tyrannosaur age-population distributions)

There seems to be a lower limit, but it's pretty low.
Holldobler and Wilson (1990, The Ants) noted that
smaller ants with smaller brains perform fewer
behaviors than larger ants with larger brains.

Interesting.

It's also been proposed that human brains are much
larger than "needed"

Certainly, but not that much. If all proportionality effects to body size are taken into account (unfortunately I don't have the reference here in Paris), our brains are merely at the upper end of the range of sizes expected for a mammal of our body size -- and _the same_ is the case for chimpanzees, dolphins, and elephants.