Parrots 'as intelligent' as young children

Parrots 'as intelligent' as young children
By Kirsten Veness for The World Today

An American scientist says the results of a 29-year study suggest parrots could be as intelligent as five-year-old humans.

Brandeis University Professor Irene Pepperberg says her study of Alex, an african grey parrot, shows parrots have an impressive intelligence.

"They're about the same intelligence as a five-year-old child but their communication skills, at least as far as we've looked at in the lab, are only about that of a two-year-old," she said.

"So no long, complicated sentences but the ability to answer the questions that we ask."

[more at:] http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1693309.htm

Keep in mind this probably refers to American children - in other parts of the world the same news item might be titled 'American Children Dumb as Parrots'. :)

Dann Pigdon