Re: Prehistoric Park

--- john hunt <john.bass@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> All the evidence for T rex combat points to face
> biting, probably because
> that's the only place where they could bite each
> other without fatal
> consequences.  The only other thing they could do
> was bite each others arms
> off - which might explain why so few have been
> found.
>
> John

Guthrie (1990, Frozen Fauna of the Mammoth Steppe)
noted that _Bison priscus_ had skin rugosities on its
forehead which were probably used as pushing pads in
B.-B. conflict.  When a bison was out-pushed, it would
have twisted its body, allowing the pusher to gore it
with a horn (illustration, p. 170).

I can't see tyrannosaurs butting each other, but the
facial rugosities might have supported pushing pads
which would have well placed for pushing a rival off
of a carcass.  If a pushing match ensued, the first T.
to twist or move back might have been open to a face
bite.  Considering that a time machine would be
necessary to test this hypothesis, I won't defend it
too stoutly

Glen Ledingham