Re: Ain't No Mountain Low Enough [elephants don't like steep terrain]

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:51:57 +1000 Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
writes:

> The same is true in archaeology; I've heard people try to argue that
>
> certain groups of humans preferred to live at lower latitudes close
> rivers because that's where most of their archaeological sites are
>
> found. What they're not taking into account is the preservational
> bias
> against high altitude settlements being preserved. There's also a
> greater chance of site visibility afforded by modern erosion within
>
> river valleys.
>
> My advice is that if you want to have your garbage pile immortalised
>
> in a museum of the distant future, then live within a flood plain.

The exception is if a researcher is studying biomolecules at
archaeological sites.  Tundra sites and high altitude sites preserve
biomolecules.  In lowland sites and low latitude sites, many important
biomolecules rot away within a decade or so.

Regarding Frank's question/statement:  There ARE a couple Mesozoic "Basin
& Range-esque" deposits (alluvial fans deposited in grabens), and these
are clearly not floodplain settings.  But unless there is some type of
altitude data that can be extracted from the site, there is no way to
determine if the horst and graben setting is high altitude or low
altitude.

BTW:  I saw Horst and Graben perform live at Munich in 1990.  At the
time, Horst was still high on something, and Graben never got over his
low opinion of himself.  And the tragic loss of their lead singer,
Alluvia, to the ravages of time, made their rock concert a pathetic
attempt at rejuvenating their past history.  My advice:  By Stones
tickets instead.

<pb>