RE: Ain't No Mountain Low Enough [elephants don't like steep terrain]

At 23:09 2006-07-26, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

On the other hand, the Pleistocene material in mountains is stuff getting deposited in caves, cracks, and crevices.

Not necessarily. I know of an Late Pliocene/Early Pleistocene lake deposit with vertebrate fossils at 2800 meters in Mexico, and there are certainly higher ones on the Andean altiplano and in Central Asia. Lake Titicaca is at 3,800 meters and there are higher large lakes in Tibet.
Incidentally the highest (fossiliferous) Pleistocene fluvial deposit I am aware of is at 2300 meters.

Tommy tyrberg