Re: Bone Marrow Preserved in 10 mya Fossil

Bad taste in my mouth here. Thuuuuph thzzzz..... If the original color of the bone marrow (The soft, fatty, vascular tissue that fills most bone cavities and is the source of red blood cells and many white blood cells.) is still visible and the material is essentially unchanged, it may indeed technically be fossilized (Def: All the processes that involve the burial of a plant or animal in sediment and the eventual preservation of all, part, or a trace of it.) I think however it is stretching the usage being preserved without replacement or substitution of the original material by some process other than isolation from degrading influences. Apparently these were preserved in a non-permeable, oxygen free, bacterial free environment. Extrapolating metaphorically,..... a bone buried a week by a flood and then dug up is a fossil. My question is, is the stuff just dried out and thusly preserved for 10 million years or is it in fact "fossilized" ? Opinion? Maybe I am just splitting hairs with a razor.

I can see the discussion of resurrected fossil stem cells now to regenerate a missing fossil appendage. If a piece of the fossil is missing, just grow it back.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming
www.cattleranch.org

21.8647% of all statistics are made up at the time